- Broadband for unserved residents and mobile data for muni & public safety
- Two village areas, one lacking any broadband and no incumbents desiring to provide service.
- Mobile data needed for public safety, public works and other tribal government field staff.
- Originally planned to apply for a stimulus grant with 100+ mesh Wi-Fi node network for low-cost CPE.
- No fiber and limited copper between populations, no consistent access to poles, limited staff to maintain.
- Project budget of under $200,000.
- Despite writing winning grants, Keenwire suggested their money is better spent directly on infrastructure.
- Provided multiple infrastructure options for cost and performance comparisons with pros and cons.
- Co-authored an application for spectrum, Keenwire went to Washington D.C. to meet with the FCC.
- One of the first EBS licenses granted in many years.
- Simple and low-cost using WiMAX and Microwave